Modular Advantage™ is a bi-monthly magazine published by the Modular Building Institute in the USA.
Founded in 1983, the Modular Building Institute (MBI) is the international non-profit trade association serving modular construction. Members are manufacturers, contractors, and dealers in two distinct segments of the industry – permanent modular construction (PMC) and relocatable buildings (RB).
As the Voice of Commercial Modular Construction™ it is MBI’s mission to expand the use of offsite construction through innovative construction practices, outreach and education to the construction community and customers, and recognition of high-quality modular designs and facilities.
Container Conversions, with offices in Johannesburg and Durban and serving the whole of southern Africa, is a member of the Modular Building Institute.
Recently Modular Advantage published a very interesting article on modular construction around the world. Zena Ryder chatted to representatives of modular companies based in South Africa, China, Mexico, Spain, Australia, Canada, and the United Kingdom.
What’s especially interesting is reading about the various solutions and applications that modular construction offers. Besides the standard on-site construction offices, modular construction has been implemented as:
- mini-shops, holiday homes and classrooms in South Africa;
- a media hotel at the 2018 Winter Olympic Games in South Korea;
- a two-storey school building in Australia;
- tiny cabins installed throughout Chili;
- various buildings constructed in Mexico due to the speed advantage;
- pre-designed, fixed-price homes that use a combination of conventional construction and prefabrication in Spain;
- social housing in Canada; and
- modular bathroom pods and modular multi-storey buildings in the UK.
The above are just a few of the applications for modular construction – read the full article to find out more.
Click here to download the full article, Modular On The Map: The Industry Around The World.
To find out more about MBI, the Modular Building Institute, click here.
To view the full September-October 2020 issue of Modular Advantage, click here.